Dave has a Masters in Management, Bachelor of Communication (Media/Multimedia Production), Graduate Certificate in Community Counselling, Graduate Diploma in Counselling, Certificate IV Training & Assessment. As part of his graduate degree to become a registered counsellor he trained in the identification and treatment of a range of mental illnesses. He is a counsellor registered with PACFA and has worked as a counsellor at Menslink in Canberra providing mental health services for males aged 10-25 (some of whom are court ordered), and the broader population in private practice.
Dave’s training background includes, working on the Great Barrier Reef as a SCUBA instructor training hundreds of people to use SCUBA equipment underwater. This involved face-to-face classroom training as well as pool training and open water ocean training including night dives. Managing groups in the classroom requires skill as does managing this same group underwater where they can’t hear you!
Dave spent a decade designing and delivering training to thousands of student leaders and staff at the Australian National University. This was custom training which included face-to-face, online and blended training. This was a combination of mental health training and leadership development.
For six years Dave was the only in-house Mental Health First Aid instructor at the Australian National University and trained hundreds of students of all ages including undergraduate and postgraduate in the Standard Mental Health First Aid Course.
ASIST is the world’s leading suicide workshop and Dave is a qualified trainer for that course. ASIST teaches participants to recognise when someone may be at risk of suicide and work with them to create a plan that will support their immediate safety.
Dave has worked as a staff member at Mental Health First Aid Australia in quality assurance role supporting instructors and ensuring the efficacy and quality of training delivered nationwide. This included providing advice to instructors about facilitation skills and course content.
Dave has gained the prestigious role of Instructor Trainer for Mental Health First Aid Australia which involves training new instructors in the delivery of courses including the 12 Hour Standard MHFA course and the 14-hour Youth MHFA course. The Blended Online MHFA Workplace is a course which has been designed from the Standard 12-hour course.
Events this person is involved with:
- 8 & 9 Feb Blended Online MHFA Workplace
- 22 & 23 March Blended Online MHFA Workplace
- 11 & 12 Feb Blended Online MHFA Workplace Ombudsman
- 25 March 2021 Mental Health First Aid Refresher - Online
- 23 April 2021 Mental Health First Aid Refresher - Online
- 13th & 15th April Blended Online MHFA Workplace Dept Industry
- 13 May 2021 Mental Health First Aid Refresher - Online
- 10 & 14 May Blended Online MHFA Workplace 9:30
- 10 & 14 May Blended Online MHFA Workplace 1:00pm
- 11 & 12 May Blended Online MHFA Workplace 9:30
- 17 & 21 May Blended Online MHFA Workplace 9:30
- 17 & 18 May Blended Online MHFA Workplace 1pm
- 19 & 20 May Blended Online MHFA Workplace 1pm
- 26 & 27 May Blended Online MHFA Workplace alternate start times
- 29 & 30 June Blended Online MHFA Workplace 9:30-12 & 13:00-15:30